One great trick that everyone needs to have up their sleeve is how to help an earache naturally. If you’ve got yellow onions on hand, you’ve got the single most effective and easy remedy for ear issues.
You know how onions make your eyes water when you cut them?
Science tells us that this happens because onion plants absorb large quantities of sulfur compounds from the soil. These form a gas which is released when the onion is cut, and THAT dilates our Eustachian tubes and makes us weep.
Our ears, nose, and throat are all connected. That means we can use onions’ tear-inducing properties to help ease the pressure of a sore ear.
I’ve used this trick on my family’s ears for over a decade, and it helps every time. Any discomfort usually gets better within twenty minutes.
Get Hyland’s Natural Homeopathic Earache Drops on Amazon!
I love the onion trick because it can be used on kids and adults alike, and the only real side effect is smelling (and maybe tasting!) onion-y for a while afterward.
How to cure earaches with the onion trick:
- Preheat the oven to 225 degrees.
- Cut an onion in half horizontally (yellow is best), as shown in the picture.
Place both halves cut side UP on a cookie sheet in the warm oven for 10-15 minutes.
- Cut a square of cheesecloth or use a thin piece of flannel to cover one of the cut halves, and hold it over your ear like an earmuff.
- You can wedge it against your ear with a pillow while you rest.
- After about 10 minutes, it will have cooled, and you can swap it out for the freshly warmed half that’s still in the oven.
- You can reheat each half at least twice, but do be aware that onions are great at absorbing toxins!
- In about 20 minutes, your ear should start to feel better–and you might even be able to taste a faint trace of onion in the back of your throat!
Onions have been used as a folk remedy for various ailments for centuries, but in my experience, earaches are their most practical application–other than cooking!
Have you ever tried the onion trick for earaches? How did it work for you?
[…] More from the Homestead Guru: Naturally Cure Earaches With “The Onion Trick”(Opens in a new browser tab) […]
[…] example, have antibacterial properties. You don’t need much and all you need to do is hold an onion cut in half over the ear for up to ten minutes at a time several times a day. You can do the same thing with ginger, except […]